DAV Class 6 Science Chapter 8 Question Answer Structure and Function of the Living Organisms – Plants will have a variety of questions which will help the students in identifying different types of questions that can be asked on a particular topic.
DAV Class 6 Science Chapter 8 Question Answer Structure and Function of the Living Organisms – Plants
These DAV Solutions has answers to questions on the grouping of plants, parts of plants, the process of transpiration, type of roots roots and its functions, the function of the stem, parts of a flower and their functions.
- A. Fill in the blanks.
- B. True or False.
- C. Tick the correct option.
- D. Answer the following questions in brief.
- E. Answer the following questions.
A. Fill in the blanks.
1. Maize, wheat and rice are examples of ___________ roots.
2. Ginger and potato are two examples of modified ___________.
3. The main function of the ___________ is to prepare food for the plant.
4. Banyan is an example of ___________ roots.
5. ___________ is the most attractive, and colourful, part of the plant.
6. The leaves of cacti are modified into ___________.
7. The leaf blade is also known as ___________.
Answer: (1) fibrous (2) stem (3) leave (4) prop (5) Flower (6) spines (7) lamina
B. Write True or False for the following statements.
1. All plants possess the tap root system.
2. The wheat and maize plants have a fibrous root system.
3. Cactus plants photosynthesise through their stems.
4. Leaves manufacture food for themselves.
5. Flower is meant for the reproduction of the plant.
6. The pistil is the female part of a flower.
7. Stigma and ovary have no role in reproduction of plants.
8. Seeds store food for the future plant.
Answer: (1) False (2) True (3) True (4) True (5) True (6) True (7) False (8) True
C. Tick the correct option.
D. Answer the following questions in brief.
1. Name the two main systems of a plant.
Answer: The root system and the shoot system
2. Name the different parts of the shoot system.
Answer: The different parts of the shoot system are: Stem, leaves, flowers, seeds and fruits.
3. Name different types of modified stems.
Answer: Stems that stores food, Stem that provides support and Stem that manufactures food.
4. State the role of spines-the modified leaves.
Answer: Spines act as a defence organ for protection against grazing animals.
5. Name the different parts of a flower.
Answer: The different parts of a flower are: Sepals, Petals, Stamens, Pistil/Carpel, Pedicel.
6. Give the meaning of the term ‘pollination’.
Answer: The transfer of pollen grains, from anther to stigma, is called Pollination.
E. Answer the following questions.
1. State the differences between the two main systems of a plant.
The root system is that part of the plant which grows below the ground. It consists of roots which absorb water and minerals from the soil. While, The part of the plant, which is found above the soil, is known as, shoot system. It consists of the stem, leaves, flowers, Seeds and fruits.
2. Define root system. Give two functions of roots:
Answer: The root system is that part of the plant which grows below the ground.
The two functions of roots are:
- (1) It holds the plant to the soil
- (2) It absorbs water, and minerals, from the soil.
3. Define shoot system. Give two functions of the stem.
Answer: The Shoot system is that part of the plant which found above the soil.
The two functions of stem are:
- (1) It keeps the plant straight and upright.
- (2) It transports food, prepared by the leaves, to all parts of the plant.
4. How is a tap root different from a fibrous root? Give one example of each type.
A Single root that grows downwards into the soil, is called tap root. Example- Mustard. While,
Several roots that grow out at the same time from the base of the stem is called fibrous root. Example- Wheat.
5. What is a leaf? Draw a diagram showing different parts of a leaf.
Answer: The leaf is the green coloured, thin, broad and flat part of a plant. It grows on the shoot at a node.
For diagram see page number 130 of you book.
6. Name any two types of stem modifications, giving one example for each type.
Answer: The two types of stem modifications are:
(1) Stem that provides support. Example: Pea.
(2) Stem that stores food. Example: Potato.
7. Name the two parts of a stamen. State the functions of each of these two parts.
Answer: The two parts of a stamen are:
(1) Anther, which produces pollen grains that take part in reproduction.
(2) Filament, which provides support to the anther.
8. What are the functions of a fruit?
Answer: Functions of a fruit are:
(1) It helps in the dispersal of seeds.
(2) It protects the seed against injury and other Unfavorable climatic conditions.
(3) It stores food material, as in the case of tomato, apple and mango.
(4) fruits are the edible part of a plant.
It’s a right way. Thanks Man.
Thanks Durga Prasad Sarangi.
Please also tell your friends about our website.
Thanks a lots it helps me a lot
For doing my pending work
Thanks Sushree Priyadarshini samal
Please also tell your friends about our website.
Mast answer ha ye bahut acha laga
It’s very helpful🥰 to me in my exams.i really like your answers. They are mentioned correctly. I really like your website 😊 and your answers.
THANKYOU FOR THE ANSWERS. THEY ARE MENTIONED CORRECTLY
Thanks for teaching ❤
Thanks for answer 🥰🥰🥰🥰
this website is awesome like my all work is pending and my friend send me this website thanku so much much much mam/sir
thanks for answer 😊😊😊
Thanks for helping. this is good answer questions
Tussi great ho yarr thanks for sending this question and answers
It’s help me a lot after many days I complete my homework. Thank you very much 😊
Thanks forhelping. This is good answer questions
This is very nice website…..I like it 👍☺️